Sunday, January 19, 2014

Prep

There are A LOT of meds involved in IVF. The only way to keep track of what you are supposed to be doing when is to me organized and methodical.  I spent a little bit of time today organizing my meds for the upcoming cycle. I have a Google calendar specifically for my meds that has alarms for each one and has the dosage for each one. I put all of my appointments in that calendar as well and share it with my husband. Below are some pics of meds and organization, the only thing not shown is I keep a roll of paper towels handy, I spread one out on the counter to prep my shots on. I sit on the toilet (lid closed!!) to prep everything then look in the mirror to give myself the actual shot.  I'm rather well endowed so I can't see my belly over the girls, hhaha, so I always clean a bigger area than I need with the alcohol wipe because aiming in the mirror is hard!

This is my guest bathroom. I use the guest bathroom because I don't have room in my master bathroom counter and don't want to worry about getting hairspray and makeup in my meds. There are two sharps containers because one is from last cycle and not quite full. I had a total of 40 shots last time before being canceled.  This time if things go well I will have 50+.

































I was able to clear out one drawer to store meds in, Menopur does not have to be refrigerated until its reconstituted.
 I purchased one of those small three drawer organizers from Wal-Mart to put my needles and syringes in, bottom 2 drawers are syringes and top drawer is all needles 

I tape two version of my med calender to the mirror, the top one is the one from the clinic that shows everything on it color coded. The bottom one is one I made for myself that shows the times I take everything (I also get a reminder on my phone) and allows me to mark off each med/day and highlight dose changes. 

And let's not forget the drawer full of meds in the refrigerator! Follistim has to be kept refrigerated as does the suppositories, so I place them in zip top bags and throw them in next the the cheese and eggs. 



3 comments:

  1. actually i dont think follistim has to be refrigerated. it does have a longer shelf life if you do tho. pretty sure i read it can go unrefrigerated for 30 days. that is a heck of a set up. i dont think i could be that organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. found this. and heck it just occured to me that my follistim may have been less than effective because i had pierced the vial and had to skip a cycle. of well.. to late now... u/s still showed i responded so i guess thats all that counts. i guess if anything it would delay my iui since it may take longer for follies to grow.

    Follistim Pen® with the Follistim® AQ Cartridge may be stored by the patient at 2–8°C (36–46°F) until the expiration date, or at 25°C (77°F) for 3 months or until expiration date, whichever occurs first. Do not freeze.

    Once the rubber inlay of the Follistim® AQ Cartridge has been pierced by a needle, the product can only be stored for a maximum of 28 days at 2–25°C (36–77°F).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that several places too and its a bummer since I had all that overage saved from last cycle. Hundreds of dollars worth of medicine I have to throw out because its older than 28 days, even though its been stored in the refrigerator the whole time. As long as you responded that's all that counts!

      Delete