Saturday, February 22, 2014

Egg Retrieval Day

I woke up at 5:30, more than an hour before I needed to, so I laid in bed for awhile before my buzzing brain made me get up. Long shower and still had time to kill before we could leave so I painted my toenails



Finally time to go, we got there and were taken straight back, we were the first ones of the day.  I was told to undress completely and put on a gown. I did that then they took hubby  away for him to do his business for his sample.  A nurse came in to put in my IV and I was so surprised when shot got it in on the first try! 



Next they gave me a Valium, which means I got a drink of water, that made me happy, I was thirsty already! She gave me my medicine instructions for the next few days and my discharge instructions.     My doctor came in and talked with me, I shared my concerns with him and he put them to rest, he's a great doctor and a good person, I even got a hug!

Hubby came back and we waited a few minutes then they took me to the bathroom then back to the surgery room.

I sat down on the table and draped my legs across these huge stirrup thing, different than the regular stirrup beds these go from your knees down.  The anesthesiologist then started putting something in my IV and I started getting fuzzy.  However, while I stayed fuzzy I was not under well enough and I started feeling pain when they were working on me. I remember them asking me if I hurt a few times and I must have said yes because I don't recall anything after that.  As a side note,  this is not the first time this has happened to me, when I had a gastroendoscopy some years ago I also woke up during it, must be something about the light anesthesia for me.   I woke up back in the recovery room with hubby  and the nurse telling me to breathe because the monitors were going nuts because my oxygen level dropped.  Again, not unusual for me, this happens every time I have surgery.  I was still very woozy and dizzy and only vaguely recall them coming in the say that they had found sperm in hubby sample (yay) and they wanted him to do another one. 

They also came in and told me the got 9 eggs which I was happy with, it was the number I had in mind for a few days now for some reason. 

Not sure how long I stayed in recovery but they came in and told me I could get dressed.  I managed that but needed help walking out.

We came home and hubby made me a breakfast sandwich and some coffee which I ate and then promptly feel asleep while he went to pickup my refill of dexamethasone 

I slept very soundly for a couple hours and woke up with pretty bad cramps/pain.  My discharge instructions didn't say anything about pain meds so I called the nurse line and she told me to take extra strength Tylenol.

So here I am now, laying in bed, eating a few potato chips and drinking some powerade.   Tomorrow they will call with fertilization report. 

Oh, and here is a photo my my ovaries ultrasound they gave me, not sure why. 



No comments:

Post a Comment